Friday, February 24, 2012

Storyteller

Read my March 4th 2011 post titled "Elsie Piddock". I'm now reading Eleanor Farjeon's book "Martin Pippen in the Daisy Field"(1937). Now I know a little more. Martin Pippen is a traveling singer/storyteller who wins the heart of Gillian in the previous book of tales "Martin Pippen in the Apple Orchard" written years earlier. I just finished reading "Elsie Piddock skips in her sleep" again. It's even better a second or third time! It reads aloud perfectly! This intricately told charming story has amazing depth. I can't tell you what it's about. That would spoil the spell. And it is a spell Eleanor Farjeon creates. It is stories like this that inspires the storyteller in me. I just wanted to read it aloud to an audience of one, two, five, or a thousand. I don't want these stories to disappear! Luckily you can hear some of these stories for free on librivov, but I want to become a professional storyteller. There's so much I feel I need to do. It's the way you spin the words I want to learn. It's visual cue...how authentic you are as the story unfolds. It's truth unfolding in the form of a story. And if it's true that each of us has God given abilities, then those who have the abilities to tell stories should share of themselves. It is who they are meant to be. Now I feel like I am preaching. I don't mean to be. It's just that stories are so important to me and some are already gone. That's how I felt after reading "Elsie Piddock skips in her sleep". They are slightly dated and could be considered impractical fancies. But it's beauty is in the telling and the way of the storyteller.

No comments:

Post a Comment