Monday, January 28, 2013

Kombucha

I'd been drinking store bought kombucha for years and finally decided that it would be cheaper to brew my own.  My first attempt didn't work out.  It might have been old or I just didn't make it right.  My second attempt using the directions and ingredients from a store bought kit worked.  I followed the instructions to the last sanitational detail.  I've made several batches since.  Now I'm up to making five gallons at a time...or 21-16 oz bottles of kombucha.  I've got eight active cultures in their juices for other batches and another gallon of kombucha that should be ready in 3-4 weeks.  I drink about four ounces of it with my orange juice each morning.  It's too acidic for me to drink straight...tastes like apple cider vinegar.  I've heard all the health benefits and risks of brewing your own kombucha.  It does seem to give me some energy and I can feel it tingling behind my knees relieving pain.  So...psychological or not, it does seem to have some health benefit for me.  It seemed to help Jesus.  He was fed vinegar (kombucha?) from a sponge on the cross before he died...and days later was resurrected.  Well...okay...that probably didn't bring him back, but life is a mysterious elixir.

Denis Streeter   1/28/13

No comments:

Post a Comment