Friday, April 26, 2013

Gray matter

My favorite cereal bowl broke
When I was attempting to mult-task
I screamed an utter cry of remorse for
The bowl that it had lived
For breakfast and dinner
As long as I can remember...
I swept the remains
Trying to be positive
At least my kitchen floor is cleaner
I wept the remains in the garbage
Placed a smaller bowl
For making my routine spirit cereal
Same as I had made it for 20 years
Routines change
I hate change
The smaller bowl too thin, not high enough
Porridge overflow, and I'm thinking
All the goal oriented people
How I have no goals
Except to be in the flow
Connect better with others
Write better
I put on my red plaid short sleeve shirt
Thinking that will somehow brighten my broken day
Peer out window
Gray...
Change from my black to gray jacket
Outside to car, sky seems gray-white luminescent
I look at jacket
It feels more gray, as if
I've absorbed the sky into my jacket
And the gray is seeping into my skin
That overwhelming...and I pray
For strength for the day
That the gray matter will not seep too far
And somehow I am given enough strength...
A poet friend stops by work and delivers
His handmade card with his illustration and my nonsense verse
I had written impromptu for him earlier
It's a wonderful thing to know that what you can inspire
Goes beyond your knowing
Your gray matter...darkening...lightening...
What's the matter

Denis Streeter  4/26/13







No comments:

Post a Comment