Friday, June 28, 2013

Heaven Eyes

I didn't make it up.  That's the title to David Almond's third children's book...but his books are for all ages and defy category.  I finished reading it for the second time last night and was blown away.  The first time I read it I was somewhat disappointed and puzzled.  That was about 12 years ago...perhaps I read it too fast and didn't consider the carefully constructed arrangement...almost like a poetic symphony as children's novel.  David Almond's first two children's novels Skellig and Kit's Wilderness changed the way I read books and how I view the world.  There was a unique writing power that pulled me into the magic of spirit, love, darkness, contradiction, and freedom.  You either like his writing style or you don't.  Maybe it's more for artists, poets, and book critics.  I've read all his books, so you know where I stand.  For some reason I felt drawn to return to this book...so I checked it out from the library.  Something seemed to tell me I didn't give it a fair read the first time around.  By the time I finished reading it a second time, I felt like I had read some kind of miracle.  I hesitate to describe a plot or even the central character Heaven Eyes because the writing says it all and becomes a story that resonates between words and beyond words.  Hidden beneath the ordinary lies the extraordinary...and the heaven eyes to search deeper.

Denis Streeter   6/28/13

No comments:

Post a Comment