Sunday, February 28, 2016

Mac & Cheese: Living through the emptiness

I heard a child say
"Can we have macaroni and cheese?"
And found myself moving through sardonic theology.

I have never liked macaroni and cheese
Yet at Navos Mental Health
I had to eat what was given me
I made myself try it
Not as bad as I thought, but
Still bad
I found if I mixed with other foods like the vegetable dish
It was not so bad.

We reach out to others
Veggies and/or protein
To guide our turning
And then when we are no longer at Navos
We can go back to eating what we like
But we have been transformed
Hmm...well sort of
It just means
We can eat mac & cheese
Even though it's yucky and slimy
If we have to

Lord, let us sit with the emptiness
The mac & cheese
That we may reach beyond the yuckiness and slime
Add the veggies and protein
That we may be full.

Denis Streeter    2/28/16

No comments:

Post a Comment