Wednesday, May 1, 2019

may day

i felt sick inside
realizing the next feature poet is another award winner
that i probably won't care about
lately i hardly care for anyone's open mike poetry
i care about mine a little more, but not much
i rarely return to my poem the next day
the next may be better
you don't need to appreciate my writing.  just listen
i hate it when someone reads their poem
as if their words should speak for themselves
no they shouldn't
if you're going to read at open mike
you'd better choose something that reads aloud well
my poems may not make sense, but they read aloud well
that's what i care about
please at least entertain me for 5 minutes or less
though sometimes 2 is too much
let me care about what you write
show me you.  it's more likely to resonate
otherwise just jesus god shut the fuck up
yes i'm cranky
give me a chance to smile or nod in recognition
don't try to impress me.  i hate that
don't read something that makes me feel stupid
for not realizing your poetic nuances
i don't care.  i've already tuned out.
please don't make me feel sick inside
i want to like your poetry
give me a reason
something i can relate to
make me laugh
open mike me
i want to care
i want to feel

denis streeter    5/1/19

No comments:

Post a Comment