Friday, April 15, 2011

Superfluity

What is Superfluity? Do you need a flu vaccine? It's a large rummage sale that University Congregational Church puts on once a year. Countless church members and volunteers find time, connection, and fun putting together this huge extravaganza. It's a great opportunity to connect with others, get rid of stuff, and pick up what you might consider a treasure. Who knows what you might find. Perhaps that special book, a complete badminton set, a clarinet, or maybe a blender. It doesn't matter. Whatever captures your heard and mind. I came away with eight books, a movie, four folk CD's, a coffee grinder, and a blender. For me, the treasures are the books. One was The Kingdom and the Cave by Joan Aiken of The Wolves of Willoughby Chase fame. Her first book at age 17! What I really like is discovering books I've never heard of particularly from the 1940's to 1970's. Books like The Half-Crown House (1956) by Helen Ashton has a Greene Knowe L.M. Boston strong sense of character and place. Lovely in the Lee (1945) illustrated and written by Robert Gibbings and Lost Island (1944) beautifully set in Ireland and Polynesia. Sleep till Noon by Max Shulman (1950)is wonderfully illustrated by Bill Crawford with some very funny comic writing. I feel like my heart and mind is going to combust with excitement. Hmm. Maybe you shouldn't go after all. I want to read all the books I will collect,but I suppose it would be wise to get some sleep!

Check it out but make sure you're not too combustible.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting us know about this great sale! I didn't have a chance to rummage through the books or very much else for myself....but Theo came away with a whole garbage bag full of treasures, include a big dump truck (he's really into "big trucks" these days), a globe, some puzzles and a cool riding toy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so great to see you and Theo there! I'm glad Theo was able to discover a santa load of treasures. I came back Saturday and picked up three tomato plants (one buck each)for co-workers and a bag of books (also one buck). So many friends and co-workers went to the sale...and they all left happy...with the hunt and the discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could someone please help me post Serendipitous Superfluity at other online sites? I'm still recovering from some strong meds, an ER 12 hour stay, and need some help while my internal metronome swings toward normal.

    ReplyDelete