Monday, May 9, 2011

Two

These are two poems I read tonight at Ravenna's Casa d'Italia. Afterwards I was told by a poet I respect, how he likes it better when I read my own works. This is no H.E. Bates, but perhaps it is more the essense of me...that he and others seemed to deeply appreciate.

Middle of the night

The middle of the night woke me up
Tapped on my shoulder
I turned, rolled restless
Awake, like the
Middle of the night god
Displaced my shoulder
Leaving me with my dark gods
Spurning sleep
Into some sort of readiness
I could not understand or judge
Awake my toss and turn journey
Recreating reality known and unknown
Sleep comes, morning wakes
Tapped out
Tapped in.

Denis Streeter 9/19/10


Untitled

I saw you from the outside
I looked inside
To see what I saw
Outside matching inside
See what I love
You call me judgmental
I am.
Experiencing life as I have
Is a delayed process
Down my rabbit hole
Sorted next minute, hour, day, month, years...
After it is no longer an issue for anyone else
Discarded like some used tissue
"Been there, done that"
Already processed and moving on
"Next!"
I saw you from the outside
I looked inside
I wasn't ready yet.

Denis Streeter 5/4/11

2 comments:

  1. I really love these two poems,Denis! They have such great soul to them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Grace. I hope to explore more in this direction. Possible chapbook title "Personal Universal."

    ReplyDelete