Saturday, June 18, 2011

You do

Written while watching the somber "Revolutionary Road" (2008), a Sam Mendes film based on the 1961 (my birth year) novel by Richard Yates...with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet.

You do

Sometimes when the plans go wrong and the lights turn spurious
You wake up the night and let it in
Cold seeping through chest only a hand will warm
Cold warm cold warm sleep a sporadic dream
And you wake knowing you are missing something besides hours of sleep
You go through your morning rituals but
Something is slipping. Is it your mind?
Something needs changing. You know it. You won't name it.
And a work day goes by. You can feel it slipping. Is it your eyes?
And the tears flow. And you don't know why. But you do. You do.

Denis Streeter 6/18/11

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful poem! There is so much depth to it...very thought-provoking!I especially LOVE the first two lines...quite possibly some of the most beautiful words I've heard in a long time. Those two lines will stay with me forever I hope!I keep pausing while I write this to go read the poem again...and it just keeps getting better! I count this among my favourite poems of all time.

    ReplyDelete