Sunday, December 9, 2012

revelation

I had been reading George Eliot's "Daniel Deronda" and then took a break to check my email.  Then I wrote this piece and sent it to myself...titling it "revelation".  Finally I took the nerve to post this attempt on my blog.  It wasn't until I logged off my computer and started reading "Daniel Deronda" again that I realized the section I was reading was called "revelations"...

revelation

sometimes in the fire of flames
something arises
a shell, a horn, a lace
a shoe tucks in for the night
and the matterhorn sways the distance
gathering shadows
a spoon, a fork, to pick things up
hooks with hand like fingers to do
and the spasm begins
like the horn of old
shorning tools and shedding boxes
all that remained was the clutter
and the task that what remained was not enough
there was a prayer that was not a prayer
remaining out of reach taunting our unknowing
like some apple to be plucked from a tree
given to some teacher
our search for knowledge
and something greater
perhaps some legacy
carried on when we are gone
loving in nature
strict when necessary
the father thats not the father
the prayer thats not the prayer
the out there, the wilderness
crows parse for crumbs
we weed our words
toss them in flames
warmth rekindling our livelihood
our indefinable nature seeking definition
warmth from our cold
our contradiction
seeking gravity, seeking sides
to be known, to be loved
a plucked prayer
to toss the extraneous
like breathing to let more in
lightening load
love for life
relation
revelation

denis streeter 12/9/12

No comments:

Post a Comment