Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Validating Ludlow

A co-worker told me about the short film on youtube called "Validation".  If you haven't seen it already, I recommend it.  Just google "validation short film".  It's about 15 minutes long and totally charming.  It reminded my of a picture book I read years ago by Jon Agee called "Ludlow Laughs" (1985).  I love the opening sentence:
"When Ludlow was born, everyone immediately noticed this shape:"  [picture of down turned curve]
Ludlow was born grumpy, but one day he has "the funniest dream in the world".  How the plot and pictures develop are charming validation that Jon Agee has incredible talent.  Check out his palindrome books...letters same forward and reverse...like his "Sit on a potato pan, Otis!"  You'll want to create palindromes of your own.   He's also done illustrations for Tor Seidler (Mean Margaret) and William Steig (Potch and Polly).   Funny how it worked.  I saw the short film "Validation" and ended up putting six Jon Agee books on hold at the library.

Denis Streeter   2/20/13

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this, nice in black and white.

    Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas

    Check out http://www.fun-with-words.com/palindromes.html

    I'm still looking for local Avery Note Pads, and I still want you to read some poems here
    Bob Hambly

    ReplyDelete