Friday, March 1, 2013

Kendal mints

I am a sugarholic.  I'm pretty frugal, but I've saved and scrimped to buy Romney Kendal mints from Cumbria, UK.  It's named after Kendal portrait painter George Romney...so let's leave politics out.  They were a favorite from my childhood.  It's like a hard mint slab that tastes a bit like a York Peppermint Patty...but SO much better.  It's pretty much pure glucose and peppermint oil.  Every year I would ask for some for Christmas and you could only get it at the REI.  Then they stopped carrying it...some ten or twenty years ago.  I finally got my sugar source.  The website for ordering is Kendal Corner.  Check it out.  The mint and fudge is the best...and it's fresher.  Try the Rum & Butter bar...it will grow on you.   I've share them all with my co-workers.  Some like the Rum & Butter bar best.  You end up paying twice the price with shipping, but it will arrive in about four days.  I tracked it.  It went from Cumbria, UK, to Carlisle, UK, to Castle Donnington, UK, to Philadelphia, PA, to Louisville, KY, to Seattle, to my front door.  This time it was five kilograms of candy...or eleven pounds...just under one hundred dollars.  It's so intoxicating delicious it's worth paying the shipping price...and per ounce it's not much more than any regular candy bar in the U.S.  I've made four shipments in the past three month...so yes...I'm addicted.  I mostly like the Kendal mint cake...for which they are famous...particularly on climbing expeditions.   I just ordered the extra strong mint cake this time...I could feel the taste shooting right through my eyeballs.  I think they're still glowing an hour later...but it's probably all the glucose.  It's an interesting website.  They also have a monthly quiz you can buy for one pound...thirty questions...with answers to last month's quiz.  I don't know the questions, but the answers were interesting and informative.  The money they collect for the quiz benefits a local Cumbria Catholic School.  I'll buy the quiz on my next order.

Denis Streeter  
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment