Monday, August 1, 2011

Fathers

I thought I would write a piece about fathers
About dying fathers
And try to make it non specific
And universal enough so you could relate to it
But personal enough so you would understand.
But it was too complex
You said "Try me..."
Okay...
My father...
Brilliant, absent-minded, bi-polar, deviant
Caring, manipulative, honest, deceiving
Now wait a minute...
You've just made a list
Nothing personal, but that tells me nothing
Okay...
What do you want me to tell?
Who are you? Who was he?
That's complicated...
Just know that
I knew him better than anyone in the family
Strengths and frailties
Nothing personal, but that tells me nothing
Okay...
I'll deal...
He's dead, through his own hands
I'm living, dealing with friends
Customers relationships
I'm still becoming...
That's still pretty vague
Who are you? Who was he?
I am...he is...still becoming...
Story.

Denis Streeter 8/1/11

No comments:

Post a Comment