Thursday, November 17, 2011

Lisp chronicles

I got talking to a co-worker today and discovered she too had a lisp growing up. We mostly grew out of it. I had a speech therapist for a year or two in grade school. In an odd sort of way, this may have developed the importance of choosing words...perhaps even the preference for nonsense. I choose words for the way they flow from my tongue, not necessarily whether they make sense. As a fun exercise, she said I should make up lispy words and turn them into a poem. I was up for it...

husky (hufty)
with (wiff)
thank you (sank you)
thought (fought)
teeth (teef)
lisp (lift)
merchandice (merchandife)
yes (yef)

So...with apologies...I made up the following...

Lisp Chronicles

Me: I'll help you wiff that.
Them: Sank you very much. I'm also looking for that dog merchandife.
Me: Oh...you mean the hufty merchandife.
Them: Yef.
Me: I would have fought upstairs.
Them: What are you saying?
Me: Oh...sorry...I can't get my teef around it. I have a lift.

Denis Streeter 11/17/11

No comments:

Post a Comment