Sunday, October 14, 2012

Two bags

Each day
I pray for strength
And humor to see
Me through each encounter...
And Friday night after work
I check phone messages at Safeway...
One inviting me to a Friday night show
At Cafe Racer.  I say no.
The other instructions about Saturday's dance performance.
I walk preoccupied into Safeway...needing only brown sugar
Walk out with two bags of groceries
Including one bag with Cherry Pom juice...
Drive home, check my computer, answer messages, and realize
I came in with one bag of groceries.
Check my coat pocket and read grocery list...
Realizing I missed my bag of Cherry Pom.
Drive back to Safeway, half mile away
Talk to cashier, showing list, and apologetically explain I left the bag behind
He says that he remembered me leaving with two bags, but
Go ahead and grab your three Cherry Pom.
I do and show them to the cashier who has me put them in a bag and
I walk to my car...
With a slow realization...
Open passenger door and check under seat
Where I see the bag had slipped under...
Go back to store and return new bag of Pom
Another apologetic explanation
And they understand...
Two bags, too stressed, split understanding
And I remember my morning prayer
And laugh, knowing I will relay this tale
To a better understanding of myself
And others
As they relay their moments of
Two bags.

Denis Streeter  10/14/12


1 comment: