Sunday, March 6, 2011

Bald to beard: Four weeks later

Four weeks ago it started....I thought it was Super Bald Sunday, not Super Bowl Sunday. You can understand my confusion. A couple people thought it looked a bit like a Sean Connery beard. I don't know...perhaps a bit. Could never pull off his charm or accent...though some just find him irritating. I still find my beard irritating....those miniature porcupine quills I still feel under my neck...will probably be the first to go. I think I'll keep it at least a week longer. My best friend who started me on this new adventure still hasn't seen my beard...probably won't believe I grew it out until he sees it. So I will have to say to him "Blessed are those who believe, yet do not see." Then he will say, "You're not Jesus! Why you always make me out to be the bad guy?" And I will say, "Well...I'm not Jesus." But how do I feel? How has it changed me? Well...I feel a bit snarkier...more prone to say what I feel...a bit more freed up...less uptight. But I also feel a bit less me perhaps...the beard looks a bit more unkempt...making me a bit afraid of what I look like...and oddly hoping people will still like me. I know...sounds kind of stupid...but there it is...a bit of vanity. Still a lot of people seem to like the beard. Many people still don't quite recognize me. I'll keep it a bit longer. Still an interesting experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment