Monday, March 28, 2011

Unless

Poetry is supposed to do something
At least have some line the reader can follow
At least be relatable
So the average person will say
"Oh...okay I get that"
If you write in riddles or obscurity
Maybe a few literary critics will get it
But who cares about them
I want everyone to understand my work
The problem is I'm not willing to let that happen
Who is going to understand a phrase like
"The toothpaste the tonsils pulled out"
It makes no sense and wastes your time
And if your poetry is filled with phrases like that
It will leave people scratching their heads
Some may even laugh uncomfortably
Like someone told them this was funny
What if poetry just was
What if poetry flowed out
Just because
My poetry flows out
Just because
It's not for you
It's for me
Unless...
You feel some flicker of recognition...

Denis Streeter 3/28/11

No comments:

Post a Comment