Saturday, February 12, 2011

Vision

Here's one I made up Friday during a work break. "What were you on?", I'm often asked...would probably apply to this poem as well. I have an unusually loose mind...that feels free to travel many directions. It's all me...with all the limber simplicity and complexity that follows. If I were to analyze my poem, perhaps the sandbox would represent a simpler more childlike life I yearn for. Yet I realize sometimes life plays games with us...messes with our vision...can be filled with nonsense...which is our adult life looking at present incongruities. Somehow nonsense has a way of tapping into my real world in ways I can't quite understand or comprehend. It's an odd comfort...

Vision

I looked out my window to the sandbox below
And saw two crickets tugging a hula hoop
Not believing what I saw, I cleaned my glasses
And looked again...
There were five pies playing a merry-go-round circus
Not believing what I saw, I closed my eyes, took off my glasses
And looked again...
There were five saws hammering wood into sheet metal
Putting my glasses back on I ran down the stairs
Out the door and grabbed one of the saws
Whispering in its ear...as it performed a quick and painless
I looked outside my window to the sandbox below
And saw two tadpoles tapping on a ferris wheel.

Denis Streeter 2/12/11

No comments:

Post a Comment