Monday, February 28, 2011

Lithium poetry

Got back from poetry tonite, and the poem I remembered was about lithium...all the lithium in the world...and how lithium in the water might make the world a better place...less violent. I got thinking of lithium balloons...forgetting that they were actually helium...but what about that? I pondered that awhile...then my mind wandered...to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, Oregon. There are lithium springs in Lithia Park...right below the acting stages. I would always go to the lithia spring water fountain...and drink the slightly carbonated water that tasted somewhat dirty...yet made me feel just a bit better. It made me think of the effect of lithium on mental health...how much is too much...and is it addictive? I guess it depends on the person, but I've known many under the effects of lithium...and it's a curiousity to me. But well...maybe the lithium balloons aren't such a good idea. Sounds like fun though. What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Wow, a poem about lithium - lots of great material there! Lithium: highly reactive, unstable compound, but in certain forms can stabilize mania & depression.. therapeutic levels are close to toxic levels...one of the first elements synthesized from the Big Bang...when heated turns a brilliant silver...

    If it were a balloon, I bet it would explode spectacularly, but what a beautiful, brilliant, silver flash of an explosion it would be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was really interesting. In fact in the poem that was read, I think lithium as one of the first elements was mentioned in the Big Bang. Perhaps one could recreate the Big Bang theory in a lithium balloon...though I don't know the science of it...and probably outside the classroom...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think of all the tiny universes that could be created inside a balloon! What if space is really just one big balloon? OK, I need to stop now...! Interesting thought though - yeah, probably outside of the classroom! lol!

    ReplyDelete