Friday, June 29, 2012

Dead End In Norvelt

That's been my surgery recovery book.  It's the 2012 Newbery winner by Jack Gantos.  I've been reading his books for years and am embarrassed to admit I finally realized he won the Newbery for this book about three weeks ago.  They announced the Newbery nearly six months ago.  I heard about it first during an radio piece on Jack Gantos.  Then I bought it a week ago. It's a very strange book to finish reading while recovering from a hernia operation.  It's morbid yet incredibly funny.  It's wildly creative yet filled with interesting historical facts that weave a madcap plot that seems true.  I don't want to give away the morbid yet poignant joys of this book.  Just read it.  There's a good reason it won this year.  There were many times in this book where I had to hold back laughter, because I didn't want any stitches to come loose.  If you've never read any Jack Gantos, I suggest reading any of the "Joey Pigza" books...a kid with ADHD and and an incredible set of characters.  Having read "Dead End in Norvelt", I see Jack Gantos' style in all his characters.  He knows how to tell a great story.  I also highly recommend his 1993 memoir "A Hole in My Life"...which in some ways feels like a very frank yet funny account of his later years.  With everything that has gone wrong in his life, Jack Gantos has a great sense of humor.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it, Denis! I attended the Caldecott/Newbery banquet last week and his acceptance speech was hilarious. I listened to "Norvelt" in the car. Gantos was the reader and he really brought the characters and humor alive for me. The ambiguous ending threw me for a loop. I rewound it twice to make sure I hadn't missed anything. Beatriz

    ReplyDelete