Friday, June 22, 2012

Good karma

I was waiting in a long line at Safeway to buy groceries.  A man about my age behind me voices his frustration..."You mean there's no more cashiers?"  I say without turning around "I don't know."  In my mind I'm thinking of downsizing, people on breaks, people who didn't show up.  I also realize I'm in no hurry, but he appears to be.  I have a large amount of groceries and a $100 gift card that I'm not sure will work.  He has only a few items.  I turn around and tell him he can go ahead of me.  He says, "That's okay.  I'm in no hurry."  I tell him I have a lot of items and a gift card that I'm not sure will work, so it may be awhile.  He smiles and says "That's okay."  Then I say, "I have an ulterior motive.  I'm having hernia surgery next Tuesday, so I could use all the good karma I can get."  He laughs and says, "That's a good reason" and goes ahead.  My transaction goes through more smoothly than I expected.  I felt better and the man behind me in line left in a much better frame of mind.  I'll see how Tuesday goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment