Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Glassblower's Children

I just finished reading this book by Maria Gripe.  It was originally published in Sweden in 1964.  I first read it about 25 years ago and it somehow remained in my memory.  I like it just as much the second time around, perhaps more because I admire her vision and craft.  It's like a Swedish fairy tale gone horribly wrong but with a good ending.  The illustrations by her husband Harald Gripe complement the writing perfectly.  I did a bit of research on Maria Gripe.  She's sold more books than any other Swedish children's writer except possibly Astrid Lindgren...of Pippi Longstocking fame.  Check out Maria Gripe's books from the library.  I did.  I intend to re-read the "Hugo and Josephine" trilogy and "The Night Daddy".  The next book of hers I'll read is "Pappa Pellerin's Daughter"(1966).  I never read that and it won the Lewis Carroll Shelf Award.  I did a little research on that.  These are books that were determined could sit proudly on the same shelf as any books by Lewis Carroll.  The awards started in the 1950's and ended in 1979...the year I graduated from high school.  It's really a shame they stopped presenting that award.  Look for yourself.  Many of children's literature's best books are on that list.  You may be surprised how many you've read.  I know I'm going to check out more books from the library based on what is on the award list.  So...go to your library and check out anything that resonates with you by Maria Gripe.  I don't think her books are in print anymore.

Another Swedish writer/illustrator to check out is Elsa Beskow.  I read two books of hers years ago and loved the illustrations..."Peter in Blueberry Land" and "Children of the Forest".  I re-read them recently.  The illustrations are amazing...a beautifully imaginative fairy tale like quality.  In fact I think I've seen some of her prints on greeting cards.  I believe her books are still in print and there are several copies at your local library.

Too many books...but I guess that's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment