Sunday, September 25, 2011

Lift

Watching pieces fall into place
Like some puzzled friend frightened by what might happen
When the wind changes to confuse me
Wind me up, make me winded
And the word play with no emotional depth
Still elluded what I desparately wanted to say
But thought better keeping my mouth shut
Thinking is honesty really the best policy?
Being taught
"Always the truth, but never an unkind truth."
It just doesn't work that way
The way we learn to hide
And then when your truth is revealed
Do you really know whether it is kind?
What bothers me is that
It almost makes a case for concealment
Of course there seems to be
Shades of grey where sharing is okay
But when do you know
Open and shut is how I feel
Some sort of emotional continuum
Feeling out each situation...
What is appropriate?
Why do I resent having to think about
What is appropriate?
I'd rather just bluster out what I think
But there's always the repercussions
And I really want everyone to be happy
But I need to protect myself from being sad
And resentful of taking on burdens beyond my own
But aren't we all called to lift each others spirits?
Yes...but when we are able
When we are able
And to be aware
When others are there
To lift our spirits.

Denis Streeter 9/25/11

No comments:

Post a Comment