Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Sand - William Mayne

Some of you may know that I plan to read all 100+ books William Mayne has written. "Sand"(1965) is one reason I read his books. He has a style of writing that you may recognize in my poetry.

The first paragraph from "Sand"...

The shirt was made of cold cloth and frozen buttons. It
lay on Ainsley's bed like a drift of snow. The cold spring
wind blew the curtains and moaned under the door.
Ainsley stroked the shirt. It had been starched with ice.

He has such amazing imagery...and the ability to make the ordinary extraordinary. I close my eyes and I can feel myself there. Someday I hope to be able to transport my readers with such images that it dwells within all their senses. Until that time, I will continue reading William Mayne.

No comments:

Post a Comment